Arnold Edwin Victor Richardson [1883-1949]
Arnold Richardson was CSIR’s Deputy Chief Executive Officer from 1938 to 1946 and Chief Executive Officer from 1946 to 1949. He was also a Member of the Executive Committee to the Advisory Council of Science and Industry from 1917 to 1926 and Member of the Executive Committee, CSIR from 1926 to 1949.
Dr Richardson’s qualifications included:
1924: Doctor of Science, University of Melbourne
1910: Master of Arts, University of Adelaide
1908: Bachelor of Science, University of Adelaide
1907: Bachelor of Arts, University of Adelaide
1902: Diploma, Roseworthy Agricultural College
In addition to his work at CSIR, Dr Richardson held a number of other positions including:
1935 – 36: Foundation President, Australian Institute of Agricultural Science
1932: Official Adviser, Australian Delegation, Imperial Economic Conference, Ottawa
1927: Commonwealth delegate, First Imperial Agricultural Research Conference, London
1924 – 37: Waite Professor of Agriculture and Director of Waite Agricultural Research Institute, University of Adelaide
1919 – 24: First dean of the reconstructed Faculty of Agriculture and first director of the School of Agriculture, University of Melbourne
1917: Part-time lecturer, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Melbourne and a member of the committee to inquire into the teaching of agriculture
1911 – 24: Superintendent of Agriculture, Victoria
1911: Acting Director of Agriculture, Victoria
1908 – 10: Assistant Director of Agriculture, South Australia
Arnold Richardson was made Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George in 1938.
The south wing of the Waite Institute was named the AEV Richardson Laboratory in 1977.