Laserscan™ fibre measurement
CSIRO’s Sirolan Laserscan® instrument measures individual fibre snippets by laser and produces accurate measurements with minimal sample preparation to obtain:
- mean fibre diameter (in microns)
- coefficient of variation of diameter (per cent)
- a diameter distribution histogram (per cent of fibres in 1-micron class intervals)
- fibre curvature in degrees/mm
- comfort factor (per cent of fibres less than 30.5 microns for wool).
Sirolan Laserscan® has full international Wool Textile Organisation Test Methods status (IWTO-12-00) and consequently results may be certified and applied in wool trading.
Laserscan instruments are operating in major processing mills in:
They are also operating in leading wool testing laboratories in:
- New Zealand
- South Africa.
CSIRO has also developed Fleecescan®, a set of easily transportable instruments for measuring the fibre diameter of wool quickly and accurately in the shearing shed (see also Objective measurement of wool).
Coming up next: